Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Out the Back Door

Dear Saints Of Andrew:

We welcome new readers to A-MAIL. If you don‚t want to be on this list, let us know. We never mean to intrude, our purpose is only to inform.
*
THIS SUNDAY
September 17, 2006
Bruce preaching from the 13th chapter of Mark:
THE JEWISH WAR
*
This won‚t get sent out until tomorrow, but I'm up at the church on Monday evening, going through the Steppin' Up Sunday attendance registration. I go through the blue and white sheets every week. I don't really need to, I suppose, as Diana F. and now Judy H. are entering the information into the computer, but I like to see the names of those who have been here. Each week, I'll see new names and wonder if they'll evolve into members and good friends. And I'm always excited to see the names of people who are on our membership role but haven't been here for a while--maybe even since Nancy and I came a year ago.

I'm less adept, frankly, at keeping up with the names that AREN'T here. I wanted to work this into the sermon, yesterday, but cut it in the interest of time. Even as we are welcoming new people coming in the doors of St. Andrew's, we want to keep an eye on others going out the back door. People will just "disappear". I've read that the number one reason people stop coming to church is that something has happened to alter their worship habits and no one noticed. I do try to notice, but there are a lot of sheep in this pasture. You can be enormously helpful, here. If you've been missing someone for a few weeks, check in on them yourself. Or give me a call and I'll be happy to check in on them. Over the course of my ministry, I've found people are glad to be thought of.
*
Our first STEPPIN' UP SUNDAY was a real high. There is so much to be thankful for. I was very proud of the staff. The rain necessitated moving events planned for outdoors into the facility itself, and the staff did a great job of improvising. Nothing pleased me more, though, than to see the number of people who have "stepped up" to participate in our music ministry this fall. The choir practices at 7:00 on Wednesday evening and we'd love to have you step up and join the group!
*
Among many joys this past Sunday was the baptism of LUCAS K., son of BOB & MICHELLE.
*
TRIVIA NIGHT was a hoot. We had over a hundred people out. We may make this a twice-a-year event. The scores were about right, ranging from a high of 79 to a low of 52, but I'm feeling like I made one mistake: My "Name That Tune" songs were so weighted toward baby boomer obscure that it perhaps wasn't fair to some of our younger contestants. Truth be told, I haven't listened to much new music over the past decade. If you run into songs you think I might be interested in, please know I'd be happy to hear them particularly if you could burn them to disc. For a TRIVIA NIGHT photo, check out the web site, www.standrewsomaha.net. It's on the home page.
*
TRUDY M. writes: Reminder that next blood drive is Sept 17th, this coming Sunday. Anyone who signs up for donation will have their name entered into a drawing for a $100 certificate towards gas from Red Cross. So remember to sign up and save a life.
*
PAT M. writes: If you are 55 or better, please join us this Sunday, Sept. 17th, for a potluck supper and bingo. We will meet at 5:30 in the Hospitality Room. Please sign up in the rotunda today!
*
PASTOR NANCY writes:

BLESSING OF THE ANIMALS IS SATURDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 23 AT 10:00 ON THE CHURCH LAWN. BRING YOUR PETS (LEASHED, PLEASE!) TO RECEIVE A BLESSING AS WE RECOGNIZE THEIR IMPORTANCE IN OUR LIVES. FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS (AND PETS) WELCOME. AN OFFERING WILL BE RECEIVED FOR THE LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY.

DIALOGUE SERMON BY PASTOR CHARLOTTE AND PASTOR NANCY ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24. THIS SERVICE WILL RECOGNIZE 50 YEARS OF ORDINATION OF WOMEN IN THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. PASTOR CHARLOTTE AND PASTOR NANCY WILL REFLECT ON THEIR PAST EXPERIENCES AS PIONEERS IN THE CHURCH AND WILL LOOK AHEAD TO THE FUTURE OF THE CHURCH. OUR LOCAL UNIT OF UNITED METHODIST WOMEN WILL ALSO BE RECOGNIZED.
*

Mark 13:1-2
As (Jesus) came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, „Look Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!‰ Then Jesus asked him, „Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.‰
*
BRD