Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Morning After

Dear Saints of Andrew:

This is normally my most productive time of the day. I got to Panera's at my usual time--around 7:00--but I've just been spinning my mental/emotional wheels, unable to concentrate on much of anything.

I was paged to the telephone about a half hour ago. It was Nancy, asking if I thought we ought to try to put together some kind of service tonight. We decided against it. The weather reports are discouraging and there's the concern people might feel they "should" get out and we could wind up making a bad situation worse. I don't know that that's the right call, but it's the call we made.

Renelle W. just came over to say hello. She's exactly right on this: This will go to a whole new level of grief today as we put names and faces and stories with the victims.

In the days and weeks to come, please know our doors and hearts will be open to talk with you about anything you want to talk about. I'm particularly glad to have Bob on staff right now, as he'll be a tremendous resource for our youth.

If you're like me, you're already going through a roller coaster of emotion. Be good to yourself. It's okay to feel what you feel (so long as you don't take it out on someone else). What you're feeling this hour may very different the next, but that's to be expected. If you don't know what else to do, pray this prayer; it is tried and true:

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever. Amen.

John 11:35: Jesus wept.

BRD