Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sarajevo

THIS SUNDAY

December 17, 2006
8:00, 9:15 & 10:45
Bruce preaching:
“CHRISTMAS EVE (Sarajevo, 12/24)”
*
This Sunday’s sermon started with a song running through my head as I was reading a small book by Joseph Ratzinger, written before he became Pope Benedict XVI. My first instinct was to share the song via CD, but then it occurred to me, given the talent we’ve accumulated--most particularly, Tyler S. on lead guitar--maybe our house band could do this justice. I handed the challenge over to Leon A., who has done the arranging. I am flabbergasted at how well the musical component has turned out. As to the sermon itself, it’s been a labor of love. We’ll hope to see you this Sunday, December 17, for “Christmas Eve (Sarajevo, 12/24).”
*
Having mentioned Leon and Tyler, I should also tell you that, for the featured number, Adam W., Gina F., Pam F. and Gene W. will be on various keyboards, with Bill W. on drums and Steve G. on bass. (Hope I'm not missing anybody.) Also on the musical program: the Horns Of Jericho will be part of a pre-service arrangement of “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear,” and The Ladies Ensemble will be singing “O Come All Ye Faithful” and “Come Messiah King.”
*
I had a wonderful experience, Tuesday afternoon. Craig S. was up here to tape an interview with By Diamond. By is recently back from Iraq. By and I had lunch together shortly after his return and he told me a story I know you’ll enjoy hearing. He did the telling yesterday in one take and we’ll look forward to sharing it with you on January 28. My sermon for that morning: “Saddam and Me.”
*
The member family that has offered the Food Challenge I wrote about last week, offering to match our giving up to $2,000, the proceeds going to Omaha’s Pearl Food Pantry, isn’t being challenged much on our end, yet. I think we’ve raised about $200 so far. If you’d like to help meet the challenge, we’ll have a special offering envelope available this Sunday.
*
Let me hasten to add that we’ve had a terrific response to philanthropic ministry this month. The Together Inc. Christmas Giving Tree was a huge success and we’ve had a fine response to our Casa La Pueblo project as well. We’re planning on issuing a full report in January on what was received. I am so proud of this congregation.
*
CHRISTMAS EVE, December 24, 2006

We will worship at 10:00, 3:00, 5:00 & 7:00.

The 10:00 service will feature a sermon by Nancy .

The three afternoon and evening experiences will be candlelight/communion services. The Children’s Choirs will be featured at 5:00, with the Christmas Eve Choir and Bells at 7:00.
*
Isaiah 9:2, 6-7

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness, on them light has shined.. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he his named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. His authority shall grow continually, and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and his kingdom. He will establish and uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time onward and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.
*
BRD