Friday, June 29, 2007

A-Mail

SUNDAY, JULY 18:00, 9:15 & 10:45
Bruce is preaching: ”GETTYSBURG”
Including musical selections:
America The Beautiful,
Ashokan Farewell
Battle Hymn Of The Republic
God Bless America
This Land Is Your Land
When Johnny Comes Marching Home
WE INVITE YOU TO WEAR RED, WHITE & BLUE
*
COMING JULY 8: NANCY TELLS US ABOUT “THE CAR AT THE END OF THE ALLEY.”It’s been really neat, this summer, to see a stream of young people in and out of Bob Davis’ office, usually in ones and twos, though it’s not been uncommon to see groups of a half-dozen or so. This tells me more and more youth are seeing Bob as a trusted friend, and St. Andrew’s as a place to come and just hang out. I like that very much.
*
Night before last, we had our first rehearsal for LES MISERABLES: THE SERMON. It couldn’t have gone any better. We indeed had a cast of dozens, and the sound was pretty amazong for the first time out. As next Wednesday is the 4th of July, we’ll be skipping that and doubling up on July 11, practicing from 6:30-8:30. If you’d like to plug into this project, let me know. LES MISERABLES: THE SERMON will be offered on Sunday morning, September 9, in the 9:15 & 8:45 services.
*
MICHELLE P. WRTIES: KJ's CARTS FOR KIDS is a Christian nonprofit dedicated to improving the quality of life for children and their families who have experienced a life-changing event or illness in their lives. This year KJ's Carts for Kids is helping military families in Nebraska and Iowa with expenses, that currently have a family member deployed. We are asking for St. Andrews to help these families. There will be a cart in the rotunda with tags attached to it. If you would like to help please take a tag and purchase a gift card to a gas station, department store, toy store, restaurant, or grocery store of your choice. Once you have the gift card you can put it in the church office and they will be collected. These will be handed out to military families at a free event that KJ's Carts for Kids is holding on September 9th, at Digz in Omaha. Please check out our website, www.kjscartsforkids.com, for more information on the nonprofit group, and the event on September 9th. If you have any questions you can also email Michelle P. NOTE: WE’LL HAVE A CARTS FOR KIDS DISPLAY AT THE CHURCH ON JULY 8
*
I’ve been reading a great book titled, “THE MOST FAMOUS MAN IN AMERICA,” a biography of 19th century preacher Rev. Henry Ward Beecher. Beecher’s father, himself a pastor, had been a hard-shell Calvinist; Beecher did a 180 degree shift to what he called The Gospel of Love—a radical idea in his time and place. Beecher had multiple claims to fame: His sister, Harriett, wrote “Uncle Tom’s Cabin; Beecher was the founding pastor of one of America’s most prominent congregations, Plymouth Church in Brooklyn; before and during the Civil War, he among America’s most prominent abolitionists; after the war, Beecher was involved in scandal. Debbie Applegate has written a thoroughly admirable book that I highly recommend to anyone interested in 19th century religion and politics.
*
PASTOR CHARLOTTE asks: Prayers for Ellen S., experiencing health issues (mother of Ken S.). Prayers for 10 year old Morgan L., diagnosed with a brain tumor, preparing for surgery on July 6th (great-niece of Mary E.).Prayers for Don B., from Tennessee, recovering from surgery due to an infection in his leg; pray that the doctors will be able to find the source of the infection and bring him to recovery (Sherri A.’s father). Prayers for Sandra M., hospitalized.
*
John 12:44-40, "Then Jesus cried aloud: ‘Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in darkness. I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me.’"
*
BRD