Monday, December 10, 2007

Pastor Charlotte

THIS SUNDAY December 16
8:00, 9:15 & 10:45:
Bruce preaching: OLD MEN AND BABIES
The Praise Band will be offering “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24” and the Chancel Choir will be debuting a new song.
*
December 23
Nancy preaching: THE REDEMPTION OF EBENEZER SCROOGE
*
CHRISTMAS EVE, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00
Candlelight Communion Services
Featuring the Horns of Jericho, The Herald Angels Singers and other wonderful music in all three services. The Children’s Choirs will be singing at 5:00. Bruce preaching: NUTS! Special Guest: Sgt. Tracy Cogdill.
*
December 30, 8:00, 9:15 & 10:45
Bruce: HOW I PLAN TO GET RICH IN 2008/
*
CHILD OF PEACE, our intergenerational Christmas Cantata, was nothing short of wonderful. Sitting out in the congregation, I couldn’t help but think back to two years ago. Nancy and I had arrived in September. The music program had taken a major hit in the transition. St. Andrew’s had some Christmas music traditions that weren’t going to be possible to pull off in December ‘05. Bless her heart, Pam F. stepped up and offered to put together an intergenerational Christmas choir. Netta P., Margie W. and the Children’s Department jumped right in. What started as a stopgap solution has grown into a new and very heartwarming Christmas tradition in its own right—one that just keeps getting bigger and better. I love this music ministry.

I would add that I was very impressed by Steve Smith’s sermon at 8:00. Steve is in the process of candidacy for the United Methodist ministry. This was his first public sermon and he handled it very well.
*
FROM PASTOR CHARLOTTE: For the past 6 1/2 years, I have had the joy of doing the Lord's work here at St. Andrew's as Minister of Pastoral Care/Director of Pastoral Care Ministries. I am, however, announcing my retirement (2nd time!) following the completion of this round of GRIEFSHARE. Depending on weather delays, this will be sometime between late January and mid-February, 2008. My calling at St. Andrew's has been a rewarding part of my ministry and I treasure the friendships Sheridan and I have made with some of the finest people we have ever met. Thank you all so very much for the blessing of serving you. God bless! Pastor Charlotte

Editor’s Note: Charlotte first shared this with us a week ago. She is a beloved figure in this congregation and we know you join us in saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” There will be plenty of time for what we know will be heartfelt expressions of thanksgiving for her ministry. Charlotte and her husband Sheridan are heroes of the faith. May God bless them.
*
Bob D. is my office, telling me about this weekend’s Youth Christmas parties.
The Senior High party was held Saturday at the Jessick home, with forty youth in attendance--though Bob’s amending this now to perhaps 37—he’s not sure. (Down the road, when he’s an ordained pastor and doing the counting, he’ll know to count it closer to 50 J Just kidding. Sort of.) They had great food, exchanged white elephant gifts and really enjoyed each other’s fellowship, says Bob. He thanks the Jessicks for hosting the event. On Sunday, the Middle School Christmas party was held at Thunder Alley, which I understand is a bowling establishment, also featuring go-carts, laser tag and such. 65 youth were in attendance (Bob stresses that’s an exact number). A year ago, the Middle School Christmas party was attended by 7 youth. People were wondering what this said about the bonding of youth with the new youth pastor. A year later, all such concerns seem to be in the rear-view mirror. Let’s face it, any time your numbers increase from 7 to 65, it’s pretty spectacular. It is, Bob reports, a good feeling, and he’s quick to laud a great group of adult volunteers. Nancy and I are just thrilled with what’s happening in our youth ministry.
*
ALPHA CELEBRATION DINNER
You are invited to come and learn more about Alpha at the Celebration Dinner on Thursday, Dec. 13 at 6 p.m. (Please note the correct time – what was in the bulletin was incorrect). Contact Diana by Tuesday, Dec. 11 if you plan to attend.
*
DAVID W. writes: I have a special prayer request. The request is for Lorraine H. and her family. Lorraine's nephew (Gary Joy) was killed Wednesday in the Westroads-Von Mar Shooting. I've never met Gary, but my family has known Lorraine for several years. Lorraine is a very sweet lady. On top of this tragedy, I understand that Lorraine's sister pass away a few weeks ago.
*
The following was written by Kathleen T., who was the music director at University United Methodist Church in St. Louis, where I served from 1986-1991. It is titled, I WANT TO WALK AS A CHILD OF THE LIGHT and is found on page 206 of THE UNITED METHODIST HYMNAL:

I want to walk as a child of the light
I want to follow Jesus
God set the stars to give light to the world
The star of my life is Jesus
In him there is no darkness at all
The night and the day are both alike
The Lamb is the light of the city of God
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus

BRD